Regardless of whether you already have a website and are looking to refresh your design and content, or if you are just now preparing for the jump into the online world, it is always best to be aware of a few basics before you make any big changes. These can include such things as what you should or shouldn’t do, and so here we are to help you along with your planning!
- DO make everything relevant. What benefit does content have if it’s not relevant? There's no use in talking about something that has nothing to do with your website. In fact, this could even effect your SEO, and drag you down in the rankings. So be sure to make everything relevant and unique to you.
- DO have a colour scheme. Chances are, if you are already an established business you have your own branding. If you're running a business, then it’s usually recommended that you go with your branding colours. Just to keep the brand alive, this is vital to any website.
- DO structure your pages. If you just chuck stuff anywhere on a website page then it'll look messy and unprofessional, not only that but it's confusing for the visitor as well. Keep everything structured and simple. That way, it’s easier to read.
- DO make it simple. There is power in the old adage of keeping things simple and sweet. People like things quick and easy, no fussing around. This can even help to bring your visitors back time and time again! So, try not to add too much onto one page or try to make it look as fancy as possible. If you’re not sure of the best way to structure your webpages you can talk to one of our designers!
- DO make your website responsive. A recent study showed that mobile searches are actually starting to overtake desktop searches. Therefore, if you are not showing your best face on mobile devices you could be missing out on a huge portion of the market! This is a disaster for any site as any visitor using a mobile device will just leave the site once they see how difficult it can be to navigate. Here at WebBoss we have a built in responsive site tester so that you can preview how your website will look on various devices.
- DO link your social media. Why not boost your social media following whilst running an awesome website? You can even input a live feed! Displaying your latest posts from Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest etc.
- DO ensure it’s easy to contact you. We recommend that you have a contact page within your navigation menu. Allow contact to be as easy as possible for your customers, so if you have a brick and mortar business, consider adding your address and contact number in your website header to help you seem more approachable.
- DON'T over complicate everything. Running a business is complicated enough, so try to keep things simple. Yes, your customers will be grateful, but it will also give you less to worry about! For example, use a navigation bar. It’s a life saver making it easy for your website visitors to find exactly what they need.
- DON'T overuse colours...or fonts, or images. Some people believe that the more colours/fonts/images the better... that is not the case. Focus on the branding and the persona of your business. Most of the time, less is definitely more. Yes, images look pretty and will break up text. But using too many images will distract from the actual website. The same goes for the font, try to stick to one or two fonts to bring emphasis to your written content.
- DON'T forget to post. It sounds silly and obvious, but it can easily be forgotten. Making sure you post up-to-date content on a regular basis sounds easier than it is and having regular content is great for SEO. So why not make a schedule? Or create a blog?
- DON'T stuff pages with keywords. Keywords are vital when it comes to SEO, which you can learn more about in this blog, so placing them within the text is also very important. However, don’t be tempted to overuse them, and if anyone ever suggests you do run away quickly!